Week of 02/16/20
Here’s this Week’s Sunday News from First Baptist Church:
- Birthday Sunday celebration after Worship. Join us for cake and good wishes.
- TAC Executive Committee Meeting, Tuesday, 7:00 pm, Jacksonville Community Church.
- Upper Room Prayer Group, Wednesday, 10:00 am.
- Adult Choir Rehearsal, Wednesday, 7:00 pm.
- Pastoral Relations Committee, Thursday, 10:00 am.
- Board of Trustees, Thursday, 7:00 pm.
- Arrowhead Parable Bookstore VBS program preview, Saturday, 3 – 5 pm, 1 Harry L Drive, Johnson City, NY.
- Reception for Whitney’s, Sunday, Feb. 23rd, following Worship.
- Mission Committee meeting, Sunday, Feb. 23rd, following reception.
- Church Skating Party, Sunday, Feb. 23rd, 2:30 – 5:00 pm, Cass Park, Ithaca. Stay for reception, and food and games after church. Otherwise, gather at the church at 2:00 pm.
- Living Waters Association Delegates meeting, Sunday, Feb. 23rd, 2:30 – 5:00. Evening meal follows. Presentation by Region Executive Minister Rev. Dr. Jim Kelsey. Reading Community Church, Reading Center, Rte. 14A.
- Church Council Meeting, Tuesday, Feb. 25th, 7:00 pm.
- Ash Wednesday Service, Wednesday, Feb. 26th, 7:00 (Choir Rehearsal follows).
- First Sunday of Lent, March 1st.
- Fellowship Dinner, Dish-to-Pass, after worship, Sunday, March 1st.
- Board of Christian Education Ministry Meeting, March 3rd, 6:30 pm.
Sunday School 9:30 am Sunday mornings. Class for all ages, pre-K thru adult.
Notification of announcements can be made by calling 607-387-7705 and leaving a message or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Announcements received later than Thursday of the week may not appear in the newsletter.
You Exceeded the Goal
You’ve done it AGAIN! The goal of $800 for the Retired Ministers and Missionaries Offering was exceeded by over $80.
This year’s theme was Honoring the Service of God’s Servants and your generous contributions did just that. The Mission Committee thanks you for being so kind.
Your contributions support retired ministers, missionaries and their widowed spouses and families who have dedicated their lives to serving the body of Christ. A percentage of the money goes to families who do not have sufficient funds to meet emergency needs. Other monies are proved to retired ministers and missionaries who qualify financially. Several retired missionaries that this church has supported have received money from this fund as well as retired ministers.
Donations are still accepted if you would like to make a contribution. Please indicate on your envelope that money is for this purpose.
There will be a reception following the worship service on Sunday, February 23rd in honor of Gary and Lisa Whitney who will be leaving to fulfill Gary’s calling to his church in Rhode Island. We are proud that Gary has received this pastoral called but sad to see them leave as they have been such a blessing to First Baptist Church.
During the reception, we will send Gary and Lisa off with an anointing by our church family. Please be sure to join us, wish them well, and God speed.
Church Council Meeting
The Quarterly Church Council Meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 25th at 7:00 pm.
According to Church By-laws, Church Officers and Board and Committee Chairpersons are expected to be in attendance. If you are a Chairperson and unable to attend, please designate a representative from you Board to attend in your place.
Ash Wednesday Service to Start the Lenten Season
Please join us for an Ash Wednesday Service at 7:00 pm, Wednesday, February 26th. This simple and somber of service of music and scripture will include the Lord’s Supper and imposition of ashes for those who desire.
Choir Rehearsal will follow the service.
- Lent begins February 26th. A time for you to deepen your spiritual walk. How do you plan to do that?
- Interested in being part of a Drama Sermon Ministry? Please let the Pastor know.
- Jews for Jesus will conduct a Seder Meal service on Maundy Thursday, April 9th. Would you like to help prepare for this ministry? See Pastor or Bonnie Maine.
- Whatever we do in the church, we do for God. That means that everything is a ministry. And every ministry is important to the life of God’s church. There is no small ministry.
- On the table outside the Pastor’s Office:
- March-April editions of the Upper Room Magazine.
- Church Annual Reports.
- Church Histories.
- Other Reading Material free for the taking.
To be the Light of Christ, glowing ever brighter with the warmth of Jesus, shining into the lives of our Neighbors in Trumansburg, the Surrounding Area, and the World. (Matt. 5:14-16)
For your convenience, the church is now able to receive your contributions on-line at our secure website: www.tburgbaptist.com. Just click on “GIVING” at the top of the home page and you’ll be directed to the giving page. Follow the simple directions on the page.
People Caring about People
People Caring about People (PCaP) is a comprehensive program that includes plans for Child Protection, Sexual Harassment, Fire Evacuation, Medical Emergency, and a Violent Intruder event. We have these plans in place to protect our congregation, visitors, and staff. We have implemented these plans because we are People Caring about People.