Week of 03/15/20
Here’s this Week’s Sunday News from First Baptist Church:
- TAC Executive Committee Meeting cancelled.
- Upper Room Prayer group, cancelled until further notice.
- Adult Choir Rehearsal, cancelled until further notice.
- Board of Trustees Ministry Meeting, 7:00 pm, Thursday, March 19th.
- Memorial Service for Kathryn Meade (Robin Fulkerson’s mother), Sunday, March 22nd, 2 pm, at the church.
- Memorial Service for Dick Durling has been postponed.
- Sunday School has been postponed until further notice.
Notification of announcements can be made by calling 607-387-7705 and leaving a message or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Announcements received later than Thursday of the week may not appear in the newsletter.
Like Us on Facebook
Visit our Website:
We at First Baptist will honor your desire to avoid transmitting or contracting the coronavirus.
To honor those who wish to avoid physical contact, please abstain from shaking hands or hugging. Unless sitting with family members, please keep space between yourself and the person next to you.
Please note that the church has put the following policies in place:
- We will take all precautions recommended by authorities.
Until further notice:
- We will continue worship services for those who choose to attend until government entities require shutting down or until circumstances demand that we discontinue services.
- We will require: a) that everyone refrain from physical contact while at the church; b) that everyone entering the church take and use hand sanitizers which greeters will make available; c) that the sanctuary be wiped down with disinfectants before and following worship services.
- We will continue to provide Children’s Church during the services.
- Except for Children’s Church, the Fellowship Hall and kitchen will not be used. We will require those who attend Sunday worship services to use the front entrance. All activity will be confined to the vestibule and sanctuary to make disinfecting manageable. We ask that people not use the church facilities except to make worship services possible.
- All other programs will be discontinued until further notice including use of the church by outside groups. This will include Choir rehearsals and performances, Upper Room Prayer group, Birthday Sunday celebrations, Sunday School, Fellowship Meals, Committee meetings, Homeworker Helper, Youth Group and other gatherings.
- We will continue to provide the Lord’s Supper when meeting but will do so with pre-filled cups and wafers, the contents of which will not have been touched prior to being opened by the individual receiving the elements.
- By phone, email, a/o texting, we will make every effort to be in contact with those in the congregation who have been identified as the most vulnerable.
- We have organized a group of people who are willing to shop for people in the congregation who are most vulnerable to the virus to assure they have groceries, supplies, and medication.
- We will make parts of our worship services available by social media.
Finally, we ask everyone to be in regular prayer about the coronavirus. As Christ’s church, we value every person and will try to act responsibly as authorities advise while continuing to be the hands and feet of Christ in Trumansburg and the surrounding area.
May God be with each of you and may He give you peace and assurance of your salvation.
Lenten Theme: Lamb of God
Sermon Series: Welcoming the Holy Spirit
You will notice the many Lambs placed around the sanctuary and a new banner over the baptistry the says “Lamb of God.” This is our theme for Lent.
We will take a hiatus from the current sermons series on inviting and welcoming the Holy Spirit so we can tailor services for the near future to fit demands of smaller gatherings, streaming, and recording.
The Choir’s annual Palm Sunday Cantata will be postponed and performed when coronavirus restrictions and precautions have been lifted.
We pray that we will be able to have a normal and JOYOUS Easter service and by then fears surrounding the virus will have subsided and precautions taken will have proven to have been effective.
Ladies Night Out!
Ladies of First Baptist Church are invited to a Ladies Night Out Banquet at Calvary Baptist Church on Saturday, March 28th at 5:30 pm.
Sign-up sheet on the bulletin board in the vestibule.
Invite your family and friends
Our Seder service is still planned. We are taking a “wait and see” approach at this time. Here are details:
Thursday, April 9th at 6:00 pm, First Baptist will host “Christ in the Passover: A Seder.” This powerful dinner event will be led by Stewart Weinisch of Jews for Jesus. The meal will help us discover the link between the Jewish feast of Passover and the last supper Jesus shared with His disciples.
Hospitality Committee is providing the meal free of charge to all who attend. The menu is “pulled” chicken and gravy over mashed potatoes with side dishes of vegetables, salads, etc. There will be no bread, but matza as part of the and the Seder elements which also include hard-boiled eggs with brown shell, parsley, onions, charoseth, and ground horseradish.
We welcome reservations so that we can prepare adequately.
We pray that you will plan to invite your family and friends. All are welcome. Jewish or not, religious or not, this will be an unforgettable, thought-provoking experience. A free-will offering will be received.
Have You Thought About It?
- Lent begins February 26th. A time for you to deepen your spiritual walk. How do you plan to do that?
- Interested in being part of a Drama Sermon Ministry? Please let the Pastor know.
- Jews for Jesus will conduct a Seder Meal service on Maundy Thursday, April 9th. Would you like to help prepare for this ministry? See Pastor or Bonnie Maine.
- Whatever we do in the church, we do for God. That means that everything is a ministry. And every ministry is important to the life of God’s church. There is no small ministry.
- On the table outside the Pastor’s Office:
- March-April editions of the Upper Room Magazine.
- Church Annual Reports.
- Church Histories.
- Other Reading Material free for the taking.
To be the Light of Christ, glowing ever brighter with the warmth of Jesus, shining into the lives of our Neighbors in Trumansburg, the Surrounding Area, and the World. (Matt. 5:14-16)
For your convenience, the church is now able to receive your contributions on-line at our secure website: www.tburgbaptist.com. Just click on “GIVING” at the top of the home page and you’ll be directed to the giving page. Follow the simple directions on the page.
People Caring about People
People Caring about People (PCaP) is a comprehensive program that includes plans for Child Protection, Sexual Harassment, Fire Evacuation, Medical Emergency, and a Violent Intruder event. We have these plans in place to protect our congregation, visitors, and staff. We have implemented these plans because we are People Caring about People.