Week of 09/01/19
Here’s this Week’s Sunday News from First Baptist Church:
- Christian Education Meeting, September 5th, 6:30 pm. Orientation for new members from 6 – 7 pm.
- Rally Sunday, Sunday, Sept. 8th
- Board of Deacons Meeting, Tuesday, September 10th, 6:30 pm.
- Pastoral Relations Committee Meeting, Thursday, Sept. 12th, 4:30 pm.
- 200th Anniversary Team Meeting, Thursday, Sept. 12th, 6:30 pm.
- Board of Trustees Meeting, Tuesday, September 17th, 7:00 pm.
- 200th Anniversary Celebration Open House, Ulysses Historical Society, Saturday, Sept. 21st, 2 – 4 pm.
- 200th Anniversary Celebration Dinner, Saturday, Sept. 21st, 6:00 pm, Church Fellowship Hall
- 200th Anniversary Celebration Musical, Saturday, Sept. 21st, 7:00 pm, Church Sanctuary
- Sunday School for pre-K thru adults, Sundays, 9:30 – 10:15 am.
Spread the word! Tell your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, neighbors: It’s time for Sunday School
Sunday School begins this Sunday, September 8th at 9:30 am. There will be a class for all ages, pre-K to Adults.
This year’s curriculum is Whole People of God.
200th Anniversary Celebration:
September 21st and 22nd
September is the month to celebrate the 200th Anniversary of First Baptist Church.
Our choir is rehearsing. Our committees are making preparations. The church is being spruced up. We’re getting our house ready for a party.
We want everything to look great for all the guests and the dignitaries who have been invited. But, we especially want to look good for our most important guest: GOD. We want God to be with us. We want to celebrate Him. We want to glorify all that He has done for us over the past 200 years and entreat Him to be with us as we begin the next 200 years.
Our theme for the celebration is:
“Shining the Light of Christ – 200 Years and Beyond.”
It is based on Matthew 5:14-16 where Jesus says:
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
We will celebrate with an open house for congregation and community on Saturday, the 21st at the Historical Society from 2–4 pm with a brief program at 3.
At 6:00 pm, there will be a dinner for the congregation and invited friends. At 7:00 pm, there will be a “Gaither-style Homecoming” program in the sanctuary.
On Sunday, we will worship God together at 10:30 am in our sanctuary. Rev. Dr. Jeff Woods, ABCUSA Associate General Secretary will be giving the sermon.
Please plan to join to shine the light of Christ into all of these events by participating and celebrating.
Time Change & Fellowship Dinner
Sunday Worship Service will begin at 10:30 am; Sunday School at 9:30 – 10:15 am.